In the the March 2019 Synergy48 Knowledge Sharing Dinner panelists mapped out a plan to use marketing as an engine to find life long customers. Here’s a summary of the action plan in under a minute. You can read the full action plan checklist below the video.
This month’s action plan
Best practice checklist for protecting your business online
For each item on the checklist mark it as: completed, not applicable for your business, or high/medium/low priority for action.
Start with understanding
- How well do you understand who you customer is, what their problem is and why they buy from you?
a. Go and have some 1:1, face to face (if possible) conversations to really understand
b. Listen for the Logical, Emotional and Tactical journey that your clients go through when working with you. From the time they hear about you, through their purchasing and delivery experiences.
2. Based on this, map out a clearly defined niche and actions that you can take to get customers like this to get to know, like, trust and buy from you.
3. Think about the WHAT, HOW and WHY of your business. Tell a story about:
a. What you do. (one line should be enough)
b. HOW you do it – that is different to your competitors – and meaningful to your clients. (my clients tell me they like working with us because ….)
c. Know your WHY. Know and ensure that everyone in the business (including your customers) are aware of WHY you started, WHY you continued and the driving WHY behind you and your business.
4. From the insights you have gained from these exercises. Stop and think through what these insights have taught you and how you could serve your customers better and what long term gains that would deliver to you.
Next step automation and integration
- We have mapped the complete buyer’s journey for our each of main products
2. We have created a communications map across our marketing and sales process
3. We have evaluated each of our major communication pieces / processes to optimise our ideal buyer’s journey
4. We have evaluated each communication piece to ensure they are consistent with our advertising / website etc
5. We have evaluated each communication piece to ensure they are “on brand”
6. We have evaluated each communication piece to ensure they are delivering a consistent message
7. We are using the appropriate communication tool for each step of the journey
Taking a long term view
- Get an understanding of how Search Engines perceive your business (SEO Health Check)
2. Consider a Content Strategy with a view to creating consistent, relevant, and engaging content
3. Make building trust with Google and your customers a priority
4. Track your results in a meaningful way, connect them to your business objectives
5. Develop a holistic strategy that seeks to grow your online presence over time, optimising your awesome in the long run, not just short term quick fixes
6. Build a purposeful and deliberate brand, story, and message – Google rewards businesses who are thinking more holistically – not just slapping up some keywords and hoping for the best – and your customers will understand you and connect with you.