This post is one in a series designed to help SME businesses benchmark their business and create a best practice business improvement plan across all of their business processes. You can find the links to the full series here.
Why is an overarching purpose vital to a successful business?
In business terms, your purpose is the why your business exists, and it’s the first vital step towards your brand’s differentiation.
Having clarity and focus on how you’ll communicate your purpose and to the world is one of the best ways for any business to differentiate and succeed.
When you lead with purpose, integrity follows. This is what everyone is searching for online today – someone to trust. If you think about the brands that have iconic status, it’s because of what they stand for that they are able to stand apart.
Today your purpose should underpin everything your brand stands for and does.
How does your business measure up?
Here’s a checklist to help you determine how well your Purpose meets this benchmark.
- We have a clearly defined and well articulated purpose which explains why our business exists and which engenders trust with our ideal clients.
- Our employees are clear on our Purpose and believe in what we are striving for.
- We use our Purpose to guide us in the process of finding and attracting the right staff and stakeholders.
- Our purpose drives a large part of our decision making and the actions we take.
- We believe demonstrating our Purpose throughout the business helps us to be seen as a genuine and authentic brand.
- We have woven our purpose through the brand story and always look for ways to show and demonstrate it throughout our marketing and communications.
About the Author
Click on the image below for more information