This post is one in a series designed to help SME businesses benchmark their business and create a best practice business improvement plan across all of their business processes. You can find the links to the full series here.
Why is it important to regularly review your technology usage?
All businesses use technology. In some ways you can’t do business without it. The best businesses use technology to stay ahead of their competition and be more profitable. However, technology is changing all the time and what was cutting edge yesterday is out of date tomorrow.
To ensure your business doesn’t fall behind, it’s crucial to regularly review your technology across all business. A technology review should always be done in consideration of your business strategies to ensure any investment is going to support you in reaching your business goals.
Your technology review should be done annually after you have created your 12-month business plan. Then revisit the technology review quarterly to ensure you are progressing as expected and to adjust any technology investments as required.
How does your business measure up?
Here’s a checklist to help you determine how well you are monitoring the effectiveness of your technology usage.
- We have reviewed the technology in use across our business in the last 12 months
- Our business plan ensures that we review our technology annually, with quarterly technology check-ups
- We only make technology investments after a technology review
- We ensure any technology investment is made in consideration of our business plan
- We regularly invest in our technology
- We can see tangible benefits as a direct result of our technology investments
- We feel we have the right mix of current “best of breed” technology in use across our business
- We always see a positive ROI on any technology investments made
About the Author
Click on the image below for more information