What is a brand positioning statement and why is it important to a successful business?
Positioning is the place in the consumer’s mind that you want your brand to own. It is the benefit that you want your consumer to perceive when they think of your brand. And it must be different to your competitors’ and defendable.
It isn’t enough merely to be different from the competition. It’s important to be different from the competition in ways that matter to your market/buyer persona.
To thrive and grow in today’s competitive landscape you need to find spaces in your market for which there are fewer or no direct competitors. It is a different approach from the traditional attempts of beating the competition with price and quality improvement wars.
And because our brains love to find things that are new, unusual or unexpected – a brand that is unique will grab attention and have an advantage over its competition.
How does your business measure up?
We have a clearly defined differentiated market position that sets our business apart from our competitors and this is clearly reflected in all our branding and communication material.
Here’s a checklist to help you determine how well your positioning statement meets this benchmark
- Our Positioning Statement is clear and free from industry jargon and superlatives.
- Our Positioning Statement is based on the needs, wants, and desires of our target customer.
- Our Positioning Statement clearly states the business category in which we compete.
- Our Positioning Statement clearly states our point-of-difference from our competitors in one or more dimensions that is meaningful to customers.
- We have evidence that supports our ‘point-of-difference claim and can defend it.
- Our Positioning Statement is clearly the internal expression of how we want to be perceived by prospects and the foundation for the outward core message we deliver in every medium.
About the Author
Click on the image below for more information